Family moves up wedding date for ailing father
FARMINGTON, N.Y. (WHAM) - Karl Jones has been thinking about his daughter Alyssa's wedding day ever since she was little.
He's been thinking about it even more after his now son-in-law Michael Kamm asked for permission to marry his daughter.
"That's my main thing, to take her those last few steps to Mike," said Jones. "I'm looking forward to that."
Those last few steps came into question on Jan. 13.
"I have heard of people with cancer, but now that it hit home, now it's like I got to research on what it is, what kind, and what are the outcomes," said Jones.
The diagnosis was multiple myeloma. There's no cure, but Jones is undergoing treatment. His diagnosis though was enough for the groom's family to start making plans for an immediate wedding.
"Every girl deserves their dad to walk them down the aisle," said Jennifer Gagliano, Kamm's sister. "I told my brother, 'I'm going to do it.' He said, 'Whatever Alyssa wants,' and I told her and she was like, 'Yeah, OK, sure.' And that was a 'yes' to me, so that was it."
So, Alyssa and Kamm went from having two years until their wedding day to just two weeks.
The Finger Lakes Hotel and Wedding Center was on board to help; they put Gagliano in touch with other vendors and made the space work for their day.
There wasn't enough time to send invitations out, but word quickly spread of their Feb. 4 wedding date.
"We expected people to say no on such short notice and just everyone coming together to celebrate Alyssa and I is wonderful," Kamm said.
Jones calls everyone who helped his fairy godparent team.
"If it wasn't for them in that short amount of time that they came together, amazingly, look at this place," Jones said. "It's just amazing."
"They deserve more than this and if I could give it to them, I would. I would do this 1,000 times over if I had to," said Gagliano.
The couple was expecting around 100 people to celebrate with them. Kamm said it was humbling having this much support during a time when they needed it most.
The family wants to thank the following wedding vendors and people for making the wedding possible:
- Finger Lakes Hotel and Wedding Center (Angelo Prestigiacomo)
- Kalifornia Entertainment (Joshua Volpe)
- Colburn Creative (Bethany Colburn)
- Coleman Films (James Coleman)
- Something Delicious (Mina Rivazfar-Hoyt)
- Vittorio Menswear and Tuxedo (Matt)
- Christina Matiash Makeup (Christina Matiash)
- Hair By Lindsay-Millennium Hair Studio (Lindsey Scialdone Adams)
- Trusted Treazurez (Angela Jones)
- Linen's by Oledlia (Odelia Gilmore)
- Profeta Jewelers (Dan Profetta)
- WCB Rentals (Jill Bailey)
- In the Moment Travel (Allie Shults)
- Tailored Events
- Jennifer Costello, wedding officiant
- Paparazzi Accessories (Sheryl Westerman)