Reward up to $1,700 after Webster family claims dogs were poisoned to death
WEBSTER, N.Y (WHAM) - An investigation is underway into how two family dogs in Webster died just hours apart.
Megan Greenwald and her family adopted their youngest dog, Hazel, about one year ago.
"She was full of energy," Greenwald said. "She was so friendly."
Greenwald says Hazel was the perfect companion for another dog that the family has owned for eight years, a rescue named Ubu.
"We trusted him more than we did people," Greenwald said.
On the night of Saturday, November 11, Greenwald told 13WHAM that Hazel became restless and began to throw up and act abnormally. The family rushed her to an animal hospital where Hazel dies hours later.
"In the morning, our dog Ubu started throwing up," Greenwald added. "Within two hours, he was in the same type of decline. Three hours later, he was in a pile of blood. It was awful."
Ubu also died at an animal hospital a short time later. At the time, Greenwald said nothing was missing or out of sorts at their home. She says began to search for answers when doctors reportedly told the family that the dogs were likely poisoned.
Christine Bailey lives next door and told 13WHAM that someone wrote an anonymous note about her own personal dogs and attached it to her front door.
"What the note said was, shut your [expletive] dog up," Bailey said.
Webster Police Chief Joseph Rieger said police has opened an investigation into the deaths of the dogs.
If you have any information, or observed anything suspicious in the area of Regina Drive, you are asked to call 911 and ask to speak with a Webster Police officer.
The Humane Society are investigating, as well. If you have any information about this case, you are asked to call investigators at 223-6500.
A non-profit called "K-9 Orphans Incorporated" is offering a $1,700 reward for information.