WHAM13 - Search Results
Irondequoit making changes after movie theater fights
Irondequoit, N.Y. - Nearly a full week after roughly 400 people engaged in fights at Irondequoit's Regal cinema on East Ridge Road, the town has a new security plan.
"Anything that shows aggressive behavior is something we are going to be monitoring more closely," said Mary Joyce D'Aurizio, Town Supervisor.
The fights took place during the showing of Insidious 2, a horror film. No one was seriously injured, but police found weapons and the theater was shut down.
The so called "action plan," has many components, but the main ones include:
More security and managers inside the theater, additional police patrols outside as well as limiting the number of tickets sold for horror and violent movies. The changes went into place Thursday, but will be most visible on Friday and weekend nights.
Regal managers would not offer comment regarding the new security measures. D'Aurizio was asked why limit the theater's business by not allowing it to reach capacity for horror films.
"I know and its true this is a democracy and a business should operate its business within its business plan however if there is something thats happening that's marring the image of our town, I think we have a responsibility to work with that business," said D'Aurizio.
"I think its a very good idea to curb the violence before it gets way out of hand and then we're in big trouble," said Virginia Alaimo, an Irondequoit resident.
Lashawna Northern said parents are partially responsible.
"They need to stop dropping their kids off, take your kids with you," explained Northern.
A list of measures being taken by the theaters and town can be found here:
1. IPD has established protocols and will utilize a number of resources to monitor the area. I cannot release specifics due to security and safety procedures.
2. The Regal Security Staff will implement additional safety measures that I cannot reveal.
3. Ticket sales will be monitored for each theater within the entire complex to address capacity issues.
4. Direct communication with Regal staff will occur on a regular basis during targeted times.
5. Social media will be monitored.
6. Regal management will be onsite for decision-making involving the Cinema property.
7. Third Platoon patrol cars will be visible in the parking lot.
8. Regal will have additional security in the theaters.