WHAM13 - Search Results
Natural gas odor sends Byron-Bergen students home early
Bergen, N.Y. - Students at the Byron-Bergen School District were sent home early Thursday after a strong odor of natural gas.
District Superintendent Casey Kosiorek said a grounds worker noticed a strong odor of natural gas at the Jr./Sr. High School, as well as the elementary school around 9:00 a.m.
The students at both schools were evacuated shortly afterward. Elementary students were taken to the Bergen Fire Hall on Rt. 19. The Jr./Sr. High School students were taken out by the track behind the school.
The district used the calling system to notify parents about the early release.
Firefighters who responded to the school have not released any information about the natural gas odor.