Most Shared

WHAM13 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Mom called 911 about alleged child care sex abuse

Victor, N.Y. -- Werre learning more Thursday morning about the man accused of sexual abuse at a daycare center in Victor. According to the Ontario County District Attorney, 43-year-old Sean Smith was arrested and arraigned on Tuesday evening on charges of first degree sex abuse and sexual contact with an individual less than 11 years old.

At a press conference Thursday at Victor Town Court, investigators revealed Smith was arrested for sexual abuse after an investigation revealed he had contact with a six-year-old girl.

Sheriff Philip Povero said he is unaware of other victims, but the office is urging anyone with information to come forward.

The investigation stemmed from concerns from a mother at the Jack N Jill Daycare in Victor. The mother of a 6-year-old and 3-year-old called 911 after she suspected sexual abuse earlier in the day.
A good portion of the information gathered thus far by investigators and the child advocacy team has come from the alleged victim and her sister.

The six-year-old was very intelligent and provided a credible disclosure to the appropriate authorities and were confident well be able to build off that and move forward, said Jason McBride, Assistant District Attorney.

Upon questioning, Smith revealed disclosures consistent with stories heard by the victims mother. According to the daycare center's owners, Smith has worked at Jack N Jill Daycare in Victor for six years and passed a background check prior to being hired.

I think maybe they need to dig a little deeper into peoples past and get more of an evaluation when it comes to checking on a daycare and the providers that they have, said Nicole Turner who lives near Smiths Farmington apartment.

The center had this statement: "The safety and well-being of our children is our number one priority. Everything we do is based on that concept. This individual was cleared per New York State regulations. We are continuing to support law enforcement throughout their investigation and our heart goes out to the affected family." 13WHAM spoke to a relative of the victims. She believes the victims were targeted because they stayed at the center later in the day when most of the children had been picked up. Family members also fear that the abuse happened more than once. Sean Smith is being held in the Ontario County Jail on $50,000 cash bail.

A relative of the alleged victim tells 13WHAM News the child is doing well. A family member of Smith said that he questions the allegations.

 
Advertise with us!

Washington Times