WHAM13 - Search Results
Fire at garden center damages buildings
Macedon, N.Y. -- Firefighters said fire destroyed a shed at a garden center on Pittsford-Palmyra Road near the border of Wayne and Monroe counties Tuesday morning.
The fire started at Wayside Garden Center in Macedon, just east of Perinton, around 1:30 a.m.
A second building was badly damaged and a level 0 hazmat situation was declared because of pesticides that caught fire. They were destroyed along with fertilizer and a vehicle.
Wayside's owner said the main part of the business is still open and was not affected by the fire. He said he lost mainly storage and maintenance equipment in the destroyed shed, which was the main power source to the center's greenhouses.
He added most of the spring crop appeared to be OK.
The fire is under investigation, though police and the center's owner don't believe it's a case of arson.
Pittsford-Palmyra Road (State Route 31) reopened around 8 a.m. after closed for several hours between Panell Circle and Wayneport Road.
Photo courtesy Michael J. Hogan