WHAM13 - Search Results
Task force investigating local roadway incidents
Rochester, N.Y. -- Police believe a suspect or suspects inside a traveling vehicle have taken aim at passing cars and trucks in Monroe County.
The warning came Thursday after another vehicle was damaged, marking the 10th incident in about seven weeks in the Rochester area. Investigators think they are all connected.
"That's the thing that's scary," said Dave Mercendetti, whose car was hit on State Route 390 in Gates Thursday morning. "Just this big bang and you know, Where is this, or people? Or what's going on?'"
Mercendetti was northbound on 390 when he heard a loud pop and turned around to see a hole in his rear window. Around 11 a.m., the SUV was struck near the Trolley Boulevard overpass.
"I'm grateful my kids weren't with me because they sit right there, right there," Mercendetti said as he pointed to the back seat that was covered in broken glass. "Thank God they're in school."
A special task force was developed to investigate all the incidents as one.
Most happened on expressways, with seven damage reports came from Route 390, one on Interstate 490 and two on suburban roads. Another one came from Livingston County later Thursday evening just off Interstate 390 in Avon.
"You just got to be careful, you know" Mercendetti said. "I mean, what do you say? I don't know."
Investigators asked people to remain vigilant and report anything suspicious. Anyone with information regarding these incidents is asked to call the Sheriff's Central Records Unit at (585) 753-4177 or 911.
Synopsis of incidents under investigation:
- April 15 (reported May 1): Route 390 and 104 - vehicle struck in quarter panel
- April 21: Route 390 and 104 - vehicle damage
- May 1: Route 390 South @ Buffalo Road train overpass - tractor trailer rear window
- May 14: 490 West @ train overpass west of Mt. Read Boulevard - (two vehicles) BBs found in one vehicle
- May 14/15 (reported May/19): Route 390 @ Brooks Avenue - windshield damage
- May 20: 390 North area north of railroad tracks - chip in driver side window
- May 20: 390 South @ Chili Avenue - chip in passenger side door
- May 21: West Jefferson Road near Clover Street, Pittsford - driver side window shattered
- May 23: Ayrault Road eastbound @ Moseley Road, Fairport - Damage to passenger side of windshield
- June 5: 390 North near Trolley Boulevard overpass - Damage to rear driver side window