Most Shared

WHAM13 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Veterinary hospital warns about Hogweed

The Livonia Veterinary Hospital is warning people about the dangers of Giant Hogweed.

The hospital posted a warning on its Facebook page.

Veterinarians treated a dog exposed to the infectious plant.

According to the Department of Environmental Conservation, Giant Hogweed's sap, in combination with moisture and sunlight, can cause severe skin and eye irritation, painful blistering, permanent scarring and blindness.

It can happen just by brushing against the bristles or breaking the stem or leaves.

If anyone comes into contact with Giant Hogweed, immediately wash the affected area thoroughly with soap and water and contact a physician.

If you find one, the DEC wants you to take photos and email them to ghogweed@dec.ny.gov.

More than 800 properties have had their giant hogweed plants controlled by DEC.

Read More at: dec.ny.gov.com

 
Advertise with us!

Contests

Washington Times