Most Shared

WHAM13 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

No murder just a late delivery

by Patrice Walsh

The manager of Mark’s Pizzeria in Hamlin said he has never had a worker use this excuse for being late on a delivery. Wednesday night police said 18-year-old Mason Requa reported that he witnessed a murder and then after a two hour search by police, admitted he made the whole thing up.

Requa told police he was late with a delivery and couldn't find the house on Cook Road in Hamlin, so he panicked and reported witnessing the murder of a 7-year-old child. Police said the details of the crime were so specific, it appeared to be real.

In a criminal complaint filed in Hamlin Court police allege what Requa told them “the defendant stated that he witnessed a van occupied by three Hispanic males pull up next to him and cut the head off of a 7-year-old girl with a machete. The defendant says one of the males pointed a gun at him before fleeing the scene.”

Requa’s boss said he wouldn't have been fired or disciplined for telling the truth about being lost and late with the pizza. He said the company is lenient with new workers and offers them help finding locations for deliveries. Nick Murray said Requa should have called and asked for help instead of allegedly inventing this story about a murder.

We did have trouble ourselves finding the home on Cook Road where the pizza was being delivered. There is no sign on the street and the house sits a quarter mile down the road. But police said that is no excuse for reporting a false crime and wasting the resources of many officers, the K9 unit and police helicopters as well as investigators who were called in. Five agencies responded including State Police, The Monroe County Sheriffs Office, Orleans County Sheriffs and Border Patrol Officers.

As of late Thursday afternoon, Requa was still being held on one-thousand dollars bail in the Monroe County Jail. He is due back in Hamlin Town Court on August 26th.

Advertise with us!


Washington Times