Most Shared

Weather Alert

Flood Warning & High Wind Warning & Wind Advisory

Flood warning now in effect for Wyoming, & Genesee Counties through 4:15pm Monday. High Wind Warning in effect from 1pm Monday through 4am Tuesday in Monroe, Orleans, Genesee, & Wyoming Counties. Wind advisory in Livingston, Ontario, Wayne, & Yates Counties from 1pm Monday through 4am Tuesday.

WHAM13 - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Woman hospitalized after drinking iced tea

A woman is in critical condition after taking a simple sip of toxic iced tea at a Utah restaurant.

Jan Harding, 67, was eating at a Dickey's Barbecue Pit with her husband, Jim. She sipped her tea and started gagging and coughing, Jim Harding said.

"I said, what is wrong?" Jim Harding said. "She said, 'I just drank acid.'"

The tea contained a heavily toxic industrial cleaner. The cleaner, made up of sodium hydroxide, or lye, is known to cause severe burns to the mouth, throat and stomach if swallowed -- chemical burns that Harding suffered from one drink.

Her husband watched as emergency crews tried to help.

"There was terror in her eyes," he told ABC News. "I said, 'I love you.' And she couldn't talk at that point, just mouthed, 'I love you, too.'"

Police were interviewing employees and checking surveillance cameras, but authorities initially believed it was an accident -- that the powdered cleaner may have been mixed in by an employee who mistook it for sugar, which has a similar appearance.


Read more:  ABC News

 
Advertise with us!

Contests

Washington Times