Police: Worker using torch sparked fire that destroyed Waterloo home

(Photo: Fred Bertram)

Geneva, N.Y. - Seneca County Sheriff's deputies said a worker using a torch on water lines at a Waterloo home sparked a fire that destroyed the home Monday night.

This happened on Moore Street.

Deputies said the fire was linked to an explosion created when work was being done at the residence. A man from Geneva who was using a torch to do work on water lines at the home set off a small explosion which led to the fire.

The Geneva man was treated at the scene for a burned hand and a cut. Two teens who were at the home were uninjured in the fire.

Border City Fire Chief Joseph Morabito, who oversaw the fire response, said one firefighter was taken to the hospital for reported dehydration issues, but has since been released.

Neither the homeowner nor the tenants were insured. The home is considered a total loss.

The Red Cross is assisting the family. The investigation is continuing at this time.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off