New York State (WHAM) - Two new measures are being taken to help immigrants in New York State.
It is all a part of the Liberty Defense project, the first of its kind in the nation, announced by Governor Cuomo last December.
The first of the two measures involves a Rapid Response Program which has regional providers and attorneys ready for any actions taken by ICE.
The second includes 21 New Opportunity Centers, that were selected by the Office for New Americans, which will offer new, free services to immigrants.
The centers will provide immigrants with essential services such as education, legal guidance, naturalization assistance, and guidance within their neighborhoods, including the Southern Tier for the first time.
The 21 selected centers include:
- New York City: Mercy Center, Inc. (Bronx)
- Chinese-American Planning Council (Brooklyn and Manhattan)
- Arab American Association of NY, Inc. (Brooklyn)
- Northern Manhattan Coalition for Immigrant Rights (Manhattan)
- Queens Community House (Queens)
- Make the Road New York (Queens)
- MinKwon Center for Community Action, Inc. (Queens)
- Long Island: Central American Refugee Center (CARECEN) (Nassau County)
- Make the Road New York (Suffolk County)
- Hudson Valley: Catholic Charities Community Services, Archdiocese of NY (Dutchess County and Orange County)
- Neighbors Link (Westchester County)
- Make the Road New York (Westchester County)
- Capital Region: U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants - Albany Field Office (Albany County)
- North Country: While no applications for this region were received during this procurement, ONA is working with partners to ensure the region is appropriately served.
- Mohawk Valley: Mohawk Valley Resource Center for Refugees (Oneida County)
- Central New York: Catholic Charities of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse, NY (Onondaga County)
- Finger Lakes: Catholic Charities Diocese of Rochester Catholic Family Center (Monroe County)
- Western New York: Jericho Road Ministries (Erie County)
- Southern Tier: Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Rochester (Tompkins & Tioga Counties)
- American Civic Association (Broome County)