Explosion at Bruegger's Bagels in Penfield blows out front door, windows

Firefighters say the fire started after an oven explosion. (WHAM photo)

The Penfield Fire Department confirms that an oven explosion started a fire at Bruegger's Bagels on Penfield Road just after 5:00 Thursday morning.

Firefighters say an employee smelled gas, but did not think it was much of a concern, and turned on the oven.

Soon after, an explosion occurred. The explosion blew out the front door and windows. Firefighters say the oven had a gas leak.

Some items on the counter caught fire.

No injuries were reported, which is something firefighters say is surprising, considering the damage.

"When you look at the damage that happened and she {the employee} was right there when it happened, she's very lucky," said Assistant Chief of the Penfield Fire Department, Gary Finlayson.

"I'm surprised that there weren't any injuries," Finlayson added.

The store is closed until further notice.

RG&E will now check out the building to make sure there were no previous gas leaks, and to make sure there is no other damage.

The investigation is ongoing.






close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending