AMBER Alert cancelled after Rochester missing teen, suspect found in NYC

    (Provided photo)

    Rochester, N.Y. (WHAM) – Rochester Police said a teenage girl for whom an AMBER Alert was issued Monday will be brought back to Rochester.

    Police said the girl was abducted on LaSalle Street around 7 p.m. Saturday.

    The girl and 41-year-old Robert Gonzalez were found in Brooklyn on Tuesday. The New York City Police Department and FBI helped to track down the pair. Police said they are working to bring them both back to Rochester.

    Gonzalez was arrested by police on a misdemeanor third-degree assault warrant. The warrant is unrelated to the AMBER Alert investigation, according to Rochester Police. Gonzalez will later be extradited to Rochester, at which time he will be charged with kidnapping in connection to the AMBER Alert case.

    The girl is being taken a hospital to be evaluated before being brought back home.

    Investigators say the two lived in the same neighborhood.

    "We believe there is some kind of relationship," Rochester Police Commander Joe Morabito said during a Tuesday afternoon news conference. He was unable to elaborate further as to what the nature of the relationship was between the two.

    "I see them together," said Justice Ross, who lives on the street. "All the time."

    Linda, the girl's mother, described Gonzalez as a neighborhood guy to whom she would say 'Hello' to in passing, but nothing more.

    When addressing the three-day gap between the girl being abducted on LaSalle Street Saturday and her being reported missing Monday, Morabito cited the involvement of Monroe County Child Protective Services at the home.

    On Monday, Morabito said a CPS worker arrived at the house to follow up on an existing case and the girl was not there. After a discussion, the case worker told the girl's mother to call 911 and report her missing.

    Gonzalez is a convicted felon who served two sentences in the New York State prison system.

    NYSDOCCS records show Gonzalez was convicted on weapons charges in 1997 and was released on parole after serving four years in Gouverneur Correctional Facility.

    In 2008, Gonzalez was convicted again - this time on drug-related charges. He was released from Orleans Correctional Facility in 2012 after serving the maximum sentence. His parole supervision expired in 2012.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...