Two mobile homes damaged in fire; residents escape unhurt


    (WHAM photo)

    Riga, N.Y. - Two mobile homes were severely damaged in a fire Thursday at a Riga mobile home park.

    Firefighters were dispatched to the Town and Country Trailer Park around 12:20 p.m.

    Firefighters say the fire started after a resident in one of the mobile homes tried heating up frozen pipes by using a Salamander heating device.

    Two people inside that mobile home, a 73-year-old man and an 83-year-old woman, escaped unhurt.

    The fire spread to a second mobile home that is said to have been vacant.

    Firefighters were able to get the fire under control after about half an hour.

    Six fire departments responded to the scene, and RTS provided a bus to keep first responders warm.

    "To see the efforts of all the firemen to combat this fire, in this nature, I applaud them because of the weather conditions," said Lt. Dean Tuthill of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

    Firefighters say, if your pipes freeze, the safest option is to call a professional.

    "They should call a plumber or someone to come in to do it professionally, and not take matters into their own hands," said Chief Dave Richards of the Clifton Fire Department. "Now, they’re out a trailer, and now they’re going to have to find a place to live...someone could have gotten killed if they didn’t get out on their own."

    The American Red Cross is providing aid for the two displaced residents. Their mobile home is said to be a total loss.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...