Police: WNY cop rescues toddler from hot car after mom overdoses
CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. (AP) -- Authorities say a suburban Buffalo police officer had to break a car window to rescue a toddler from the sweltering vehicle after her mother apparently overdosed on heroin.
Police in the town of Cheektowaga says an officer noticed a parked car with its engine running and lights on in a parking lot outside a closed business late Tuesday night.
As the officer approached the car, a little girl jumped up on the seat. He then noticed a woman slumped over in the front seat with a needle sticking in her arm.
The officer broke a window to free the 3-year-old girl, who was suffering from dehydration.
The 28-year-old mother, Jade Nikel, was taken to a Buffalo hospital for evaluation. She was charged with child endangerment and heroin possession.
The girl is being cared for by relatives.