School of the Arts principal: No threat to students, staff
UPDATE (12/13): The School of the Arts and the Rochester City School District reached out to parents and guardians Thursday, saying a rumor concerning an alleged threat that was spreading earlier this week is unfounded.
A letter and robocalls were released Thursday. School officials say there will be extra precautionary measures in place at the school Friday out of an abundance of caution but, again, the school and district say any reports of a threat are unfounded.
A joint statement from the RCSD and the Rochester Police Department read as follows:
The Rochester City School District working in concert with the Rochester Police Department have investigated a potential threat of violence at the School of the Arts Campus, at 45 Prince Street. The RCSD and RPD moved quickly to investigate the incident and have collectively determined that there is no credible threat to students or staff. Out of an abundance of caution, the RCSD will take extra safety measures on Friday December 14, 2018 and the days leading up to winter recess to ensure the safety of the school community. This incident serves as an important opportunity to remind the entire community about school safety and the precautions the District takes every day to keep students, staff, and visitors safe.
The following is the letter sent out Thursday:
Rochester, N.Y. (WHAM) - Parents and guardians of students at School of the Arts in Rochester received a message Tuesday morning, stressing the safety of all children at the school.
The message, which was sent by Principal Kelly Nicastro through a robo call, stemmed from one of the SOTA students who was "reported to have made threatening remarks about the campus." Nicastro said that report eventually resulted into false statements being shared on social media.
"Out of an abundance of caution, I collaborated with the District Safety and Security team to investigate the situation, and they determined that there is no threat to our students or staff," Nicastro said in the message.
The situation has been resolved, according to Nicastro, and "appropriate action is being taken."
Parents have contacted 13WHAM News, saying they are concerned about the messages and calls they received from both the district and their children who attend the school.
13WHAM News has reached out to the Rochester Police Department and the Rochester City School District for more information about this incident.