Police: Two dead, one injured in Waterloo shooting; suspect in custody

    Troopers say the investigation is happening on Virginia Street. (WHAM Photo)<p>{/p}

    WATERLOO, N.Y. (WHAM) - State Police say a suspect is in custody after a man and woman were killed during a shooting in Waterloo. Another woman was injured.

    The incident happened around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday on Virginia Street.

    According to State Police, the suspect was taken into custody at Cheerful Valley Campground in Phelps. Investigators say someone gave them a tip that brought them to that location.

    The suspect eventually surrendered but appeared to have self-inflicted cuts to his arm and neck. He was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital via Mercy Flight. The extent of his injuries is unclear.

    State Police say one of the deceased victims died from an apparent gunshot wound. The other victim's cause of death is unclear at this time.

    The suspect had a relationship with the woman who was killed, according to police. Police were not sure if the suspect had any relationship with the deceased man.

    Investigators say they have had domestic incidents with the suspect in the past.

    Shawn Smith, a bartender at Lizard's Lounge, said he is haunted by the events that unfolded late Tuesday night. He says the two female victims were in his bar before the shooting.

    "I walked out and made sure they got in the cab okay, shut the door," he recounted, speaking about the victims.

    Smith says he then saw a car follow the cab from the bar.

    "The person in the car was ducking down, like he was spying," he said.

    Minutes later, he heard about the shooting.

    "I didn't know the victims that long, but they were, like, friends," he said.

    The owner of "All the Way" taxi service in Waterloo told 13WHAM that one of his drivers picked up two women from Lizard’s Lounge in Waterloo Tuesday night.

    The cab driver then reportedly dropped them off on Virginia Street, and then saw a man with a gun come out of the bushes and follow them into a house.

    "It just so happened, when he pulled into the driveway and let the ladies out, and they got up to the door, the guy got out of the bushes, waved to my driver," said Ron Anderson, the owner of the company.

    He says the driver immediately called his dispatcher, who then called 911.

    Meanwhile, neighbors of the victims are trying to grasp what happened. Like many who live in the area of Virginia Street, Joan Richardson got a reverse 911 call in the middle of the night, warning of a gunman nearby.

    "That robocall is a blessing," said Richardson, " but they didn't say an area or anything. And little did I know, it was right beside me."

    Richardson's yard backs up to the apartment where her friend of 40 years lives. She says her friend survived, but that her partner did not.

    "That was the most devastating part of it: To know the people, to know the characters," said Richardson. "They were giving and caring and loving. To know that, and then have this happen, it is just so - I've said it all day long - so senseless."

    Investigators have not yet released the names of the victims, or the suspect. They did say the suspect lived in the town of Romulus, Seneca County.

    Police still have to determine what charges the suspect will face.

    Waterloo Police say residents near Virginia Street received reverse 911 calls to stay inside their homes while they were searching for the suspect.

    This is a developing story. 13WHAM will continue to provide updates as they become available.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...