Two escape unharmed from Geneva blaze

    Two adults escaped unharmed from a Geneva house fire Wednesday night. (WHAM photo)

    An overloaded circuit is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a Geneva home.

    The double-wide mobile home in Spruce Tree Mobile Home Park, 2760 County Road 6, caught fire around 10 p.m. Wednesday, according to officials with the North Side Fire Department.

    The fire remains under investigation by that agency as well as the Ontario County Fire Coordinator, but preliminary results suggest the blaze was caused by an overloaded circuit in a bedroom. According to fire officials, an electric space heater and other electrical items were being powered by a lightweight extension cord and a surge protector.

    Two adults lived were able to escape, but the home is uninhabitable. The American Red Cross is assisting the homeowners.

    Fire officials said that it's important to follow operating instructions and warnings on electronic space heaters, noting that most should be plugged directly into an outlet and not an extension cord.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...