Mother of man accused of escaping from South Central Regional Jail arrested

    Police have arrested Todd Boyes' mother, Robin Helton. She is accused of helping him escape from South Central Regional Jail last week. (Eyewitness News Photo)

    Police have arrested the mother of a man accused of escaping from the South Central Regional Jail last week.

    Robin Helton, 62, of Caldwell, Ohio is accused of helping her son, Todd Boyes, escape on Wednesday.

    West Virginia State Police say Boyes called his mother from Walmart located at Southridge near the jail shortly after his escape around 5:50 a.m. on Wednesday.

    Around 7:45 a.m., troopers say Helton picked her son up at the nearby McDonald's. After getting in the car, troopers say he told his mother that he had just escaped the jail and needed her help fleeing the state.

    According to the criminal complaint, Helton admitted she agreed to help her son. They say she also gave him $2,000 and drove him to Beaumont, Texas. While talking to a state trooper, Helton allegedly said, "I'd do it again because he's my son."

    Helton's bond was set at $50,000. She is currently being held in the same jail her son escaped from.

    U.S. Border Patrol agents caught Boyes around 4:00 a.m. Sunday morning attempting to swim the Rio Grande to Mexico from Laredo, Texas. He is currently in the Webb County Jail awaiting an extradition hearing Thursday morning.

    If Boyes waives extradition; authorities from West Virginia will travel to Texas to pick him up, where he will be brought back and arraigned on new charges related to the escape.

    Boyes was already facing three to 20 years in connection with a car chase in a stolen vehicle that ended with him ramming a Charleston police cruiser.

    So far, four correctional officers have been placed on unpaid leave while the investigation into Boyes' escape continues. It is not clear who the officers are, or what they did or didn't do in connection to the escape.

    It was nearly two full days before jail workers noticed Boyes was gone and West Virginia State Police were notified early Friday morning.

    A spokesperson for the West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety confirms to Eyewitness News that Todd Boyes was captured overnight in Laredo, Texas.

    Lawrence Messina says U.S. Border Patrol agents captured Boyes around 4 a.m. on Sunday trying to cross the Rio Grande river into Mexico at Laredo.

    U.S. Marshals in Charleston had developed information that Boyes had made it to Laredo. Marshals say they were then in contact with the Laredo Sector of the Customs and Border Protection Office before Boyes was eventually captured there trying to cross the river.

    After a medical evaluation, Boyes was taken to the Webb County Jail.

    Boyes will have an extradition hearing at 9:30 a.m. Thursday in Texas.

    Boyes escaped the jail on Wednesday morning but was not noticed for almost two full days.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...