Officials put aside squabble in Schneiderman probe

New York's governor and the Manhattan District Attorney are putting aside a squabble over who should be investigating sexual misconduct allegations against former Attorney General Eric Schneiderman. (Photo: NY Gov. Cuomo)

NEW YORK (AP) -- New York's governor and the Manhattan District Attorney are putting aside a squabble over who should be investigating sexual misconduct allegations against former Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance, Jr. and Gov. Andrew Cuomo appeared at a news conference Thursday in New York City to show support for the probe. Schneiderman was accused of abuse by four women in a New Yorker article published Monday. He resigned hours later.

Cuomo replaced Vance on the case with Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas as special prosecutor.

He says the move was to avoid a possible perception of conflict. Cuomo had earlier ordered the attorney general's office to look into how Vance's office handled a 2015 case against Harvey Weinstein that resulted in no criminal charges.

Vance strongly objected, but said Thursday he understood.

------

This story has been corrected to show that the news conference was in New York City, not on Long Island.

AP-WF-05-10-18 1937GMT

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending